Professional Dance Audition Opportunity
into the Shimmer Heat is a new West Australian opera to be staged by Nova Ensemble in the new Heath Ledger Theatre in October this year. The lead character is mute, and will be played by a young contemporary dancer. Her character, Nina, is a teenager struck dumb by her father’s untimely death in the desert. Emotionally damaged she seeks solace in goth-rock music. Her mother seeks to cure her by taking her, by hot air balloon, into the desert where her dad disappeared. There she undergoes more trials and tragedy before triumphing over adversity. She communicates through dance.
The cast consists of 5 opera singers (including internationally regarded divas Sara Macliver and Fiona Campbell), two puppeteers and a dancer. This is a fully professional production. It will be directed by Phil Thomson, and choreographed by Danielle Micich. Music by David Pye and Lee Buddle. It’s supported by the State Government’s Major Production Fund.
We are seeking a dancer for this fully professional role with the following attributes…
· Training and/or professional experience in contemporary dance
· Confidence in working with task based methods and improvising.
· Able to play a 16 year old girl (ie under 24 years of age)
· Able to deal with heights (the dancer will be flying high)
· An understanding/experience of acting process
· Some singing ability (Nina sings two lines)
· Availability for full time rehearsals in September and performances in the first half of October. There will also be workshop sessions during April/May that can fit the dancer’s availability.
Primarily we are seeking a wonderful young dancer with the desire to work hard and take full advantage of this extraordinary opportunity. She will receive theatre and singing coaching during the development process.
Dancers interested in this role are asked to submit an expression of interest in the role by emailing director Phil Thomson by Monday March 7 2010 with a biog or c.v. that outlines their dance experience and addresses the criteria listed above. We will invite dancers to audition from those who have applied.
Auditions for the dance role will be held on Sunday March 20 at King Street Arts Centre.